4. January 2018 Extemp Topics
By on February 28, 2018
NFHS EXTEMPORANEOUS SPEAKING TOPICS
- Are the recently-passed federal income tax cuts good for the American economy?
- Will the elimination of the individual health care insurance mandate gut Obamacare?
- Are political pundits exaggerating the national significance of Doug Jones’ Senate victory in Alabama?
- Was Senator Al Franken’s resignation premature?
- Can citizen efforts to force Congress to pursue impeachment of the President succeed?
- Will the #MeToo movement result in enduring changes in male behavior?
- Should businesses and government wait until an employee is convicted of sexual impropriety before firing the accused?
- Will President Trump fire Robert Mueller?
- Should the federal government expand access to Pell Grants for prisoners wanting to pursue an education from behind bars?
- Is our failure to invest in infrastructure the root cause of the recent AMTRAK derailment?
- Is the federal government responsible for the high post-hurricane death rate in Puerto Rico?
- Is reported spending by the Pentagon on UFO research warranted?
- Was the federal government’s decision to lift restrictions on manufacturing lethal viruses in a laboratory setting wrong?
- How will the GOP tax cuts impact the unemployment rate in the United States?
- What must Doug Jones do if he wishes to hold on to his Alabama Senate seat beyond one term?
- What steps must congressional leaders take to protect congressional employees from sexual harassment and assault at work?
- How can President Trump best protect himself against the consequences of the Russia investigation?
- What steps must the GOP take to convince a skeptical public of the wisdom behind their tax bill?
- How can the Democratic Party capitalize on the voting power of African American voters to improve Democratic electoral prospects?
- With devastating wild fires an annual problem in California, is the government doing enough to protect against the threat?
- In the wake of the FCC’s decision on net neutrality, what steps can industry take to reassure the public of continued access to the resources of the Internet?
- What can the federal government do to protect the public from the more dangerous aspects of the cryptocurrency market?
- As Congress works to reauthorize the Higher Education Act, what steps can congressional leaders take to ensure continued consumer protections for students?
- What is the appropriate role of the federal government in protecting consumers from identity theft?
- What is the appropriate role for government in regulating ride share services, such as Über?
- Is it time to end the veto power of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council?
- Should Palestinians pursue a “One State Solution”?
- Who is the best arbiter to bring about a negotiated solution to Yemen’s civil war?
- Who is ultimately responsible for the resignation of Lebanon’s Prime Minister?
- Was the cost of liberating Iraq from ISIS too great?
- Should the world community call the killings of Myanmar’s Rohingya population a “genocide”?
- Should France continue to take-in refugees from Libya?
- Should Honduras call new elections?
- Should Cambodia’s government face penalties for its suppression of political opposition?
- Is China succeeding in its efforts to shrink India’s sphere of influence in South Asia?
- Is Pakistan’s civilian government once again becoming a pawn of the military?
- Can a successful opposition to Vladimir Putin be mounted in next year’s presidential election?
- Are Catalonian aspirations for independence successfully contained?
- What will be the impact of the European Union’s decision to classify Über as a taxi service rather than an online app?
- How will the Trump administration’s decision to move the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem impact the Israeli-Palestinian peace process?
- What will be the consequences of Poland’s judicial overhaul on its relationship with the European Union?
- How will the presence of the Winter Olympics in South Korea impact the tensions between the two Koreas?
- What long-term steps must the International Olympic Committee take to prevent a repeat of the Russian doping scandal?
- How will new sanctions against Russia impact the relationship between Russia and the United States?
- How will the new government of Zimbabwe differ from that led by Robert Mugabe?
- What steps can be taken to deescalate tensions between Saudi Arabia and Iran?
- What are the most compelling arguments for the impeachment of Peru’s president?
- What conditions should North Korea meet before being invited to the negotiation table?
- What does the election of Sebastián Piñera as Chile’s president signal about the desires of the nation’s people?
- What will be the consequences of the death of Ali Abdullah Saleh for Yemen’s civil war?