The NFHS has worked with music publishers to develop guidelines for state associations, music educators associations and school districts.
Guidelines for using distributed student recordings for K-12 assessment and adjudication by the publishers are listed below. These guidelines are designed for a limited duration and scope to allow for student musicians to complete their state-level assessments. No recorded performance can be distributed outside of these guidelines and the listed publishers unless they meet Section 17 U.S. Code § 110(D)(ii)(I)(aa) of the US Copyright Law.
• Performances must be shared in as private of a setting as possible, and must be viewable by individual link only.
• The performance can only be shared for educational assessment or state adjudication purposes.
• The recorded performance must use legally purchased music.
• Students must show the original sheet music at the beginning of their video.
• Adjudicators may receive a digital copy of the music, but must be set to prevent downloading and printing. This access to this file must be deleted following the adjudication.
• Any arrangements made shall have proper permissions secured prior to recording.
• Once the recorded performance has been adjudicated it must be deleted from the sharing platform.
• This permission will expire on June 15, 2021.
Publishers that have graciously agreed to allow their music to be recorded and distributed under the above terms or have released permissions similar to the above terms (Updated 1/22):
You can find more NFHS Copyright Resources here.
You can find more NFHS COVID-19 Resources here.